The season of Lent is a time for personal reflection. It is often a time of penance when some choose to fast and others try to give something up that they enjoy or commit themselves to doing something positive. This year we have seen the tremendous destruction throughout the world caused by natural disasters and are becoming more aware of the role we, as humans, have played in it by continuing to view creation as a source of exploitation rather than a gift from God. EarthConnection is offering a new approach to a very old tradition: the examination of conscience. What follows is an Ecological Examination of Conscience which invites you to take a few moments each evening to reflect on your relationship to creation throughout the day.
Begin by quieting yourself down. Let go of all that troubles or disturbs you. Reflect on the gift creation has been in your life this day and on your role in the ever-evolving creation story. In the words of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, “We are collaborators in creation,” and as collaborators, we have an integral role to play in safeguarding this incredible gift, not only for those alive today but for future generations.
An Ecological Examination of Conscience
- Pray for the gift of wisdom.
- Pray that your eyes may be opened to all that you saw in your environment today.
- Simply rest in God’s presence.
Thanksgiving and Gratitude
- What are you thankful for in creation today?
- How did you show your appreciation for nature today?
Reflect on the Day
- What in nature reflected the beauty and blessing of God’s image for you today?
- Where were you most aware of God’s gifts in creation today?
- Did you stop during the day to look at the beauty around you?
Where Are Improvements Needed?
- How many times did you walk from one place to another and not even notice evidence of God’s gifts?
- What can you do each day to remind yourself to stop and breathe in and out slowly reminding yourself of God’s presence?
Look Forward to Tomorrow
- What gift do you seek for tomorrow?
- What commitment are you willing to make?
- Pray for the gift to be open to all that creation has to offer you.